This scholarship fund has been instituted in the memory of Sowmiya and Tara, two transgender women, who had lost their lives in suicide. They had hopes, dreams and wanted a life of dignity. Unable to cope the discrimination and depression, they ended their lives. They both were school dropouts. If they had the opportunity to study at school and college, their destiny will have changed forever,
At Sahodari, we believe, education can transform a transgender person’s life for better, forever. That is why, most of our work within the transgender community is towards training, supporting, encouraging and motivating the transgender community to learn, get educated and educate.
Sowmiya Tara Transgender Educational Scholarship Fund has been instituted to support the education of transgender individuals who are out and living openly as trans and who wish to pursue their higher studies.
Who can apply:
- Transgender individuals who live openly as trans and wish to pursue their studies in any field.
- Transgender individuals pursuing their 10th and 12th standards in schools, or through distance education or open schools can apply.
- Transgender individuals who wish to pursue their under graduate and masters degree courses can apply.
- Transgender individuals who wish to enroll in a specific professional or business training course also can apply.
- Transgender individuals who wanted to get trained in visual and performing arts can apply.
Criteria for applying: Age is not a bar. This scholarship is for Indian transgenders with Indian citizenship only. Applicants can be from any part of India.
Period of support: Scholarship has no time limitations. You can apply Throughout the year.
How much fund? Two scholarships of Rs.10,000 each will be available. A total of Rs.20,000 is offered as support through this scholarship.
Write to us a simple mail with details about you, the course you wish to study, fee details, the school or training institute details and reference from two transgender persons. Write to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
2017 scholarships are now open!